Are you traveling to Korea and wanting to know some useful Korean words?
South Korea, known as the Land of the Morning Calm, is known for its busy metropolis, soap operas, K-Pop, and cuisine centered on kimchi and Asian spices. Tourists are drawn to the country because of its history and culture. Learn some useful Korean words before visiting its tourist spots to help you get around.
Useful Korean Words
Here are some useful Korean words and phrases.
- Welcome – Hwangyong-hamnida
- Hello – Annyeong-hasimnikka (formal) / Annyeonghaseyo or Annyeong (informal) / Yeoboseyo (on the phone)
- How are you? – Eotteohke jinaeseyo? / An nyeong ha siut seum ni ka?
- What’s your name? – Ireumeun mueosip nikka? (informal) / Sungham ee uttoke daesipnika? (formal)
- My name is ___. – Je ireum-eun ___ imnida.
- Pleased to meet you. – Mannaseo bangapseumnida. (formal) / Mannaseo bangawoyo. (informal)
- Good morning/afternoon/evening. – Annyeong hashimnikka.
- Good night. – Annyeong-hi jumusipsio. (formal) / Jal jja. (informal)
- Goodbye! – Annyeong! / Annyeonghi gyeseyo! (if you are leaving) / Annyeonghi gaseyo (if you are staying)
- Good luck! – Haeng un eul bil eo yo! (formal) / Haeng un eul bin da! (informal)
- Have a nice day! – Joeun haru dweseyo!
- Bon appetit! – Jal meokkesseumnida! (before a meal) / Jal meogeosseumnida! (after a meal) / Masitkke deuseyo!
- I don’t understand. – Moreugesseumnida.
- Can you help me? – Chom towajushil ssu issŭshinayo?
- I Don’t Know! – Morŭgessŏyo.
- Excuse me. – Shillehagessumnida.
- Sorry. – Mianhamnida. (formal) / Joesonghamnida. (very formal) / Mian(hae). (informal)
- Thank you. – Kamsahamnida. or Komapsumnida. (formal) / Komawo. (informal)
- Happy birthday! – Sangil ch’uk’ahamnida!
- Happy new year! – Saehaebok mani padŭseyo!
- Merry Christmas! – Meri k’ŭrisŭmasŭ!
- Congratulations! – Ch’uk’adŭrimnida!
- I love you! – Saranghaeyo!
- I feel sick. – Ap’ayo.
- I need a doctor. – Ŭisaga p’iryohaeyo.
- Good / Bad / So-So – Choayo / Anjoayo / Kŭjŏ kŭraeyo
- Yes / No – Ne / Aniyo
Transportation / Getting Around
- I’m lost. – Kirŭl irŏbŏryŏssŏyo.
- Where is the ___? – ____ i ŏdiyeyo?
- Bathroom – Hwajangshil
- Pharmacy – Yakguk
- Restaurant – Sik-dang
- School – Hak-gyon
- Post office – U-che-guk
- Museum – Bak-mul-kwan
- Hospital – Byeong-won
- Store / Shop – Ga-gye
- Bank – Eun-haeng
- Police station – Gyong-chal-seo
- Church – Gyo-hye
- Swimming pool – Su-yeong-jang
- How much is the fare? – Yo-geum-i eol-ma-im-ni-ka?
- Ticket – Pyo
- Train – Gi-cha
- Bus – Bus
- Subway – Ji-ha-cheol
- Airport – Gong-hang
- Train station – Ji-cha-yeok
- Bus station – Bus jeong-geo-jang
- Subway station – Jeon-cheol-yeok
- Passport – Yeo-kwon
- Stop here. – Yog-ee-o.
- Map – Ji-do
- Here – Yyog-ee
- There – Chog-ee
- How far is this? – Eol ma na meop ni kka?
- Where? – Ŏdiyo?
- Hotel – Hotel
- Room – Bang
- Reservation – Ye-yak
- Are there any vacancies for [tonight]? – [O-neul-bam] bin-bang eop-seum-ni-ka?
- How much is this? – Ige eolmayeyo?
- What Is This? – Ige mwŏyeyo?
- Big / Small – K’ŭn / Chagŭn
- I really like it! – Nŏmu choayo!
- Give me this! – Igŏt juseyo!
- This. Ee-go.
- I’ll buy it. – I-go-seul sa-ge-seum-ni-da.
- Too expensive. – Neo-mu bi-ssa-yo.
- Could you lower the price? / Give me a discount, please. – Jom kka-kka-ju-se-yo.
- A little – Jo-geum
- A lot – Ma-ni
- All – Mo-du
Food and Dining
- I’m hungry. – Paegop’ayo.
- I’m thirsty. – Mongmallayo.
- Breakfast – A-chim
- Lunch – Jeom-sim
- Dinner – Jeo-nyeok
- Bread – Ppang
- Tea – Cha
- Water – Mul
- Beer – Maek-ju
- Wine – Po-do-ju
- Salt – So-geum
- Pepper – Hu-chu
- Meat – Go-gi
- Beef – So-go-gi
- Pork – Dae-ji-go-gi
- Fish – Saeng-seon
- Vegetable – Chae-so
- Fruit – Kwa-il
- Dessert – Hu-sik
- Please bring the bill. – Kye-san-seo jom su-sip-si-yo.
Still not sure if you can wing it? Get help from a professional linguist! Hire a Korean translator or interpreter. Language Direct offers services such as travel and tourism translation and escort interpreting if you are traveling. Call us today to get more help on useful Korean words and professional language services.
Finally, Language Direct it’s currently providing services in London | Birmingham| Leeds| Glasgow| Sheffield | Bradford | Edinburgh | Liverpool | Manchester | Bristol | Wakefield | Cardiff | Coventry | Nottingham | Leicester | Sunderland | Belfast | Newcastle upon Tyne | Brighton | Hull | Plymouth| Stoke-on-Trent | Wolverhampton | Derby | Swansea | Southampton | Salford | Aberdeen | Westminster | Portsmouth | York | Peterborough | Dundee | Lancaster | Oxford | Newport | Preston | St Albans | Norwich | Chester | Cambridge | Salisbury | Exeter | Gloucester | Lisburn | Chichester | Winchester | Londonderry | Carlisle | Worcester | Bath | Durham | Lincoln | Hereford | Armagh | Inverness | Stirling | Canterbury | Lichfield | Newry | Ripon | Bangor | Truro | Ely | Wells | St Davids
Book here | Request a Quote