Learn some useful Filipino phrases before traveling to the Philippines.
The Philippines, an archipelago composed of 7,107 islands, is famous to tourists for its beautiful beaches, warm and hospitable people, rich history with American, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish influences, many historical places from the World War, bustling metros, unique cuisine, and shopping for unique items such as pearls and bags at low prices. Learning some useful Filipino phrases will make getting around easier, although English – one of the country’s official languages – is widely used. While almost everyone can speak basic English, and most road signage and ads are in English, locals will find it amusing if you can speak a few words in the local tongue, making it easier for your to make friends and to get better prices at bargain markets.
Filipino is the other official language of the Philippines, and is spoken across the country. Note that Filipino is the official language, and Tagalog is one of the 170 ++ dialects spoken in the country.
Useful Filipino Phrases
Here are some useful Filipino phrases for travelers.
Note: Filipinos use “po” to speak politely, usually to elders. You can add “po” to virtually any phrase or word to make it polite. For example: I’m good = Mabuti. You can say “Mabuti po.” to be polite.
- Hello! – Mabuhay! (formal) / Hi! or Hello! (informal) / Hoy! or Uy! (very informal)
- How are you? – Kumusta? / ‘Musta?
- I’m good. – Mabuti.
- Yes – Oo / Opo (polite, short for “Oo po”
- No – Hindi
- What’s your name? – Anong pangalang mo?
- My name is ___. – Ako si ___.
- Good morning. – Magandang umaga.
- Good evening. – Magandang gabi.
- Goodbye! – Paalam! (formal) / Bye! (informal)
- Good afternoon – Magandang hapon.Cheers! – Mabuhay! (literally, “long life”)
- I don’t understand. – Hindi ko naiintindihan.
- I don’t know. – Hindi ko alam.
- Excuse me. – Makikidaan (po). (to pass through)
- I’m sorry. – Pasensya na. (to apologize) / Pakiulit. (I beg your pardon)
- It’s nothing. – Wala iyon.
- Thank you. – Salamat. / Maraming salamat. (thank you very much)
- You’re welcome. – Walang ano man.
- Please – Paki / Pakiusap / Pakisuyo
- I love you. – Iniirog kita. or Iniibig kita. (formal or old fashioned) / Mahal kita. (informal)
- Get well soon. – Magpagaling ka.
- Leave me alone. – Iwan mo akong mag isa! / Tigilan mo ako! / Lubayan mo ako!
- Help! – Saklolo!
- Fire! – Sunog!
- Police – Pulis
- Doctor – Doktor
- Ambulance – Ambulansya
- Merry Christmas! – Maligayang Pasko!
- Happy New Year! – Manigong Bagong Taon!
- Happy birthday! – Maligayang kaarawan! / Maligayang bati!
- Okay. – Sige.
Transportation / Getting Around
- Stop! – Para! (to get off a bus)
- I’m lost. – Nawawala ako.
- Can you help me? – Tulungan nyo po ako.
- Where is the ___? – Nasaan ang ___?
- Hospital – Ospital
- Store – Tindahan
- Pharmacy – Botika
- Hotel – Hotel
- Room – Kwarto
- Restroom – Banyo
- Restaurant – Restawran, Kainan
- Airport – Airport
- Bus – Bus
- Train – Train / Tren / MRT / LRT
- Left – Kaliwa
- Right – Kanan
- To make a turn – Liko
- Here – Dito
- There – Diyan
- Malapit – Near
- Malayo – Far
Food and Dining
- Delicious! – Masarap!
- Hot. – Mainit.
- Cold. – Malamig.
- I would like a ___. – Gusto ko ng ___.
- Water – Tubig
- A drink – Inumin
- Food – Pagkain
- Pork – Baboy
- Chicken – Manok
- Fish – Isda
- Bread – Tinapay
- Rice – Kanin
- Fruits – Prutas
- Vegetables – Gulay
- Spoon – Kutsara
- Fork – Tinidor
- Glass – Baso
- Plate – Plato
- Knife – Kutsilyo
- How much? – Magkano?
- Money – Pera
- Expensive – Mahal
- Cheap – Mura
- What’s this? – Ano ito?
- Beautiful – Maganda
- Ugly – Pangit
- I like it. – Gusto ko.
- I don’t like it. – Ayaw ko.
- It fits. – Kasya.
- It doesn’t fit. – Hindi kasya.
- I’ll buy them. – Bibilhin ko. / Kukunin ko.
- Do you accept credit cards? – Tumatanggap ba kayo ng credit card?
- Change (coins) – Barya / Panukli
Get the most out of your vacation by learning these useful Filipino phrases, or hire a professional translator for all your Filipino translation services.
Language Direct it’s currently providing services in London | Birmingham| Leeds| Glasgow| Sheffield | Bradford | Edinburgh | Liverpool | Manchester | Bristol | Wakefield | Cardiff | Coventry | Nottingham | Leicester | Sunderland | Belfast | Newcastle upon Tyne | Brighton | Hull | Plymouth| Stoke-on-Trent | Wolverhampton | Derby | Swansea | Southampton | Salford | Aberdeen | Westminster | Portsmouth | York | Peterborough | Dundee | Lancaster | Oxford | Newport | Preston | St Albans | Norwich | Chester | Cambridge | Salisbury | Exeter | Gloucester | Lisburn | Chichester | Winchester | Londonderry | Carlisle | Worcester | Bath | Durham | Lincoln | Hereford | Armagh | Inverness | Stirling | Canterbury | Lichfield | Newry | Ripon | Bangor | Truro | Ely | Wells | St Davids